Facing an assault charge, or a domestic violence charge can be overwhelming and scary. We know that Oregon law and dealing with the court system are things that you may not have much experience with, but that’s why the lawyers at Donahue Law Firm are here. Our team is passionate about providing legal representation that you can trust.
Every case is different and has unique circumstances and details, but in order to avoid a conviction, our lawyers typically approach the defense of a case in two ways: pleading not guilty, or pleading guilty but the defendant should not be held responsible.
- Pleading Guilty: Saying that you committed a crime doesn’t necessarily mean that you will be facing jail time if we are able to successfully argue self-defense, unintentional injury, or insanity.
- Not Guilty: Defense attorneys must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the crime was committed. When saying you didn’t commit the crime, this is the most common argument.
If you are charged and convicted of assault, here are some basics regarding the laws and penalties:
Fourth Degree Assault: If you knowingly or intentionally caused physical injury to someone, you could be accused of fourth-degree assault, which in most cases, is considered a Class A misdemeanor. Penalties could include one year in jail and a fine up to $6,250.
- Third Degree Assault: A prosecutor would need to prove that you recklessly, intentionally, or knowingly caused injury to someone. Considered a Class C felony, you could face up to five years in prison or fines up to $125,000.
- Second Degree Assault: Known as assault in the 2nd degree, this is classified as a Class B felony and could result in up to 10 years in prison or fines up to $250,000.
- First Degree Assault: The most serious charge, assault in the first degree is considered a Class A felony and could result in 20 years in prison or fines up to $375,000.
At Donahue Law Firm, our lawyers will do our best to ensure that you are not convicted of assault charges. We have years of experience and knowledge and we are always dedicated to serving each and every one of our clients with exceptional care and attention.
If you are facing assault charges and need professional guidance and advice, get in touch with Donahue Law Firm today for a free consultation.